Mercedes are admired all over the world for their luxury and dependability. However, one common issue Mercedes models suffers is oil pressure switch failure. Let’s take a deeper look at this problem.
What is the oil pressure switch?
Motor oil is needed to keep components lubricated. For it to flow properly, the oil needs to be under pressure. If the oil does not have the correct pressure, it will not be distributed appropriately. This will lead to friction and permanent component damage.
The oil pressure switch is able to monitor the pressure. If a problem is encountered, the switch alerts the computer triggering the dashboard warning light.
Symptoms of a Failing Oil Pressure Switch
All vehicle components can fail. When the oil pressure switch begins to fail, you may notice one or more of the following symptoms.
- Wrong or Erratic Oil Pressure Gauge Readings: A defective oil pressure switch can cause the oil gauge to read empty or full. The gauge may also act erratically changing the oil level from extremely high to very low. If your gauge is showing low or empty, do not add oil before checking the oil level. Too much oil can also permanently damage the engine.
- Engine is Running Hot: If the engine is not getting the proper amount of oil it can run hot. Continuing to drive your car when the engine is running hot can lead to complete engine failure.
- Illuminated Oil Pressure Light: A failing oil pressure switch can trigger the oil pressure dashboard light. If the light is illuminated, check the oil level. If the level is correct, the oil pressure switch probably needs to be replaced.
If you are hearing a ticking or grinding sound, it can be an indication the oil pump has failed. Do not drive your Mercedes with a failed oil pump.
- Blinking Oil Pressure Light: A failing or defective oil pressure switch sensor can cause the oil pressure light to blink continuously.
- Illuminated Check Engine Light: When the oil pressure switch begins to fail, it can produce an erratic reading that will trigger the check engine light. If the light is illuminated, it is important to have a diagnostic scan by your trusted mechanic. There are many different problems that can trigger the light so a proper diagnosis is important.
Driving with a Oil Pressure Switch Failure
If the oil pressure switch fails, it needs to be replaced immediately. It is a vital part of your Mercedes that monitors the oil level. If the oil level is incorrect, it can damage components and lead to engine failure and higher repair bills.
How to Avoid a Problem with the Oil Pressure Switch
The best way to prevent oil pressure switch failure is by staying current on your regular-scheduled maintenance. Oil and filter changes are essential for an engine to run properly.
To safeguard your Mercedes from any type of failure, the below are important:
- have regular maintenance performed
- have your certified mechanic inspect your car on a regular basis
- have all issues diagnosed and fixed immediately
- only hire a certified mechanic to work on your Mercedes
European Motor Cars is Here for You
At European Motor Cars, we have over 30 years of experience servicing European vehicles. We will do everything we can to make your experience as convenient and pleasant as possible so you get the best service around.
You do not have to take your Mercedes to a dealership for repairs. Our factory-trained and Master-status, certified mechanics can perform the same service at a fraction of the cost. You can count on us to diagnose and repair your Mercedes problem so you can drive confidently.
Give us a Call Today
If you believe you are experiencing an oil pressure switch in your Mercedes, call us today to schedule an appointment. You can reach us at (702) 367-7140 or come see us at 3440 Spring Mountain Road, Las Vegas, NV. You can also use our easy to use online request form.
At European Motor Cars, we service Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes, Mini Cooper, Porsche, Range Rover, Volvo and Volkswagen. We proudly service customers from the cities of Spring Valley, Summerlin, Henderson and North Las Vegas and Las Vegas, NV. Call us today or come in for a visit. We look forward to earning your trust.