Volkswagens were designed to last. After a time, they do require maintenance. For a Volkswagen to last for many years to come it is important that you stay current on regular maintenance. One part that needs to be replaced is the muffler bracket.
What is the muffler bracket?
The muffler bracket is often referred to as the exhaust hanger. The purpose of the bracket is to keep the exhaust system in place. The exhaust hangs under your vehicle. It can cause extensive damage if it were to come loose.
If the muffler bracket were to fail, the exhaust could rub against the ground. It could also damage other components such as the catalytic converter.
Symptoms of Muffler Bracket Failure
Signs of muffler bracket failure are not always noticeable right away. However, there are a few different symptoms you can look out for, such as:
- Rattling or Vibration: The noise could be produced by the bracket or a loose exhaust.
- Banging Noises: Banging noises are often noticeable when traveling over bumpy roads. The banging noise is produced when the exhaust pipe hits the bottom of the chassis.
- Hissing Sounds: A broken muffler bracket can lead to an exhaust leak. This leak can produce a hissing sound.
- Exhaust is Hanging Low: The muffler bracket holds the exhaust securely in place. When it breaks, the exhaust can hang too low.
- Decrease in Power: When a muffler bracket fails, additional stress is put on the exhaust. This can lead to additional failures which can cause a decrease in power and performance.
- Poor Fuel Economy: A broken muffler bracket can end up causing damage to the exhaust. When the exhaust is not working properly, you will notice a drop in the gas mileage.
- Misfiring Engine: An issue with the exhaust system can cause the engine to misfire. Misfires due to exhaust problems often occur when decelerating.
What causes the muffler bracket to fail?
Muffler brackets are made of rubber or steel and rubber. The rubber can dry out and crack over time. This leads to failure. Muffler brackets should last from 5 to 7 years. However, they can last a lot longer or fail sooner.
Common causes of muffler bracket failure include:
- rough roads
- speed bumps
- weather conditions
- road salt
- lowered suspension
- improper muffler bracket
Replacing the Muffler Bracket
The muffler bracket may also fail over time due to natural wear and tear. It should be inspected regularly to look for early symptoms of failure. If your bracket has already failed, it should be replaced immediately by an expert technician.
Muffler bracket replacement is a quick and easy fix. Do not put off having the bracket replaced. By doing so you could cause damage to your exhaust system.
Is it safe to drive with a broken muffler bracket?
If you have experienced muffler bracket failure in your Volkswagen, it is important you have it replaced right away. Do not continue driving your car. Your muffler can fall off. When it does, it can damage additional components leading to more expensive repair bills.
European Motor Cars has been delivering high-quality auto repair for over 30 years. Our service center is equipped with world-class tools and technology. This allows our highly trained technicians to diagnose and fix your Volkswagen right the first time. If your vehicle needs the muffler bracket replaced or any other service or repairs, give us a call. Our technicians are experts in Volkswagens.
When you come to European Motor Cars, you will have your car repaired with zero hassle. We make everything as easy as possible. We will have a loaner car available, or you can take advantage of our shuttle ride service. Or you can have a cup of coffee in our luxurious waiting room.
We are Waiting to Help You
If your muffler bracket has failed, it needs to be replaced before your muffler falls off. Call European Motor Cars today to schedule your appointment. You can reach us on 702-389-0306 or come see us at 3440 Spring Mountain Road, Las Vegas, NV. You can schedule your appointment online.
Here at European Motor Cars, we service Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes, Mini Cooper, Porsche, Range Rover, Volvo and Volkswagen. We are conveniently located for drivers in the cities of Spring Valley, Summerlin, Henderson and North Las Vegas and Las Vegas, NV. Call us today for an appointment.